Thursday, February 07, 2008

New Year Day.

Jet lagged, I woke up this morning at 5:30am. The canons have started already; they are nothing else if not persistent. The fire crackers here are quite impressive. Even when I see them coming, I am still startled by their sound.

I went back to the old family home for lunch. Lunch is followed by the obligatory Majong game. After 3 hours, I bowed out and went for a stroll around People's Park. The city was actually not as crowded as I had expected, possibly due to the exceptionally cold weather. The major department stores were open, but closed early by either 5 or 6pm, while the smaller stores on the side streets remained closed. Walked by the middle school Ge Zhi, it has become unrecognizable. Gone was the old building with the hundred year-old ivy. In its place stood an impressive building that would appeared more appropriate in the fast changing downtown. I stopped by Shanghai Book City, a book store. It was definitely the busiest store I saw. I spent 1 hour browsing the travel guides, looking for ideas for short trips. I also found the medical section with several books on anesthesia, but could not decide which book to buy. Shadowing Chinese anesthetists may prove to be more difficult as I originally thought.

Shanghai is cold this winter. Most people have very thick coat on, even when eating in some of the restaurants. I wonder if the businesses are been ernergy-aware. Will things change once the Three Gorge electricity come online?

1 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were the shengjianbao stands open? That's key. I don't care if the other shops are closed, but I always want to know about the food. Is the new school building the one we saw them building a few years back? Will you even be able to see my comment?? :) Thanks for writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home