Monday, October 25, 2004

I wish...

...I wasn't such a bookworm! That and another six inches, I could have been Yao Ming! I probably won't buy Yao's book, but I'm glad he decided to write it. It's surprisingly candid, and would definitely be interesting for an American audience that otherwise would not have learned much about China. The description of the Chinese government's style of grooming young athletes, Chinese parents' style of raising kids, and the overall media propaganda through the eyes of a kid growing up in the "reform and open" China would be refreshing for the American reader. I realize he's just an famous athlete, but he stands out not just because of his height, but also his mentality. From what I read in the excerpt and what I've heard in the past, a lot of credit goes to his parents. And don't we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home