Monday, October 18, 2004

Interesting.

Military service record of some of the public figures in American politics. I would probably try to think of the person first before opening the page, since the list is clearly biased to favor the Democrats therefore not fair to consider the parties as a whole.

However, I wonder, what will the list look like in 10 years or 20? Who still goes into the military anymore? Which reminds me, maybe the Republicans on that list are just younger. I know a draft is unlikely, but it still scares me a little at the back of my head. Thanks, donkeys. I keep hearing the people in the military tend to favor Republican, but is that really true?

Update:

I did a little googling, apparently the list was biased. According to CRS Report for Congress (109th):

There are 154 Members of the 108th Congress who have had some form of military
service, some 14 fewer than in the 107th Congress. The House has 118 veterans: 70
Republicans and 48 Democrats, including one woman, who is a Republican. In the
Senate, 35 Members are veterans: 19 Republicans and 16 Democrats.

It just so happens that a lot of big name Republicans in the news happened to not have served.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home