Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Model of democratic participation

I will have to admit the Iraqi election this past Sunday was a success. In fact the entire process seems so successful, that when I looked up the number, I thought they put the Americans to shame.

Here's the numbers that struck me the most: 14.3 million registered, according to the State Department.

Put it in perspective: the total population, according to CIA fact book, is around 25.4 millions. Of which, almost 60% is 15 and older. Do the math that is 15.3 millions. So the registration rate is over 93%!

By comparison, the registration rate in the U.S. in 2000 was 70%.

So in the midst of violence and insecurity, the Iraqis put our own democratic participation performance to shame. The way I look at: if you even consider 100% registration rate for the Shiites (60%) and Kurds (20%), that meant 65% of Sunnis registered. Pretty amazing isn't it?

Seriously, how did they do it? Democrats need to learn from the Iraqis on how to get out the vote.

Footnote: (For those cynics out there, I will concede the following.)
I don't have the actual number of eligible voters in Iraq. The number I used was 15 and older, while the medium age in the country is 19, and only peopel 18 or older can vote. So the actual eligible pool is probably smaller than 15.3 million that I calculated--which only makes the 14.3 million more impressive.

The violence in mainly Sunni areas in the heartland of Iraq is probably over-exagerated by the mainstream liberal media. 65% registration rate for Sunnis seems fine, even if some of the election officials have been publicly excuted in the weeks leading up to it.

Lastly, Sunday was historical for another reason. A new record was achieved in the number of attacks, 260. I don't understand why the news on Sunday was all about voter jubilance. Violence got the shaft. They should have talked more about the attacks--it would have only made the 72%, er..., 65%, er... 57% (maybe, we think, I hope?) turnout even more more impressive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home