Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April 15, Washington DC.

I went to the International Spy Museum today. It has been touted as the most expensive museum in the District, of course unlike most of the national museums, it is privately owned. Nevertheless, it was tons of fun. I found myself sinking four good hours in that place. Despite the museum's policy of allowing a fixed number of people in every hour, the place still felt somewhat crowded on a Tuesday. But it must be an even more exciting place for kids with the numerous hands-on opportunities. We are all fascinated by real life spies. We are envious of their exciting lives of action, deception, danger, and money. We read spy stories eagerly perhaps a part of us secretly wish they can retire successfully after mission accomplished. Yet the real life spy stories in the museum often follow the trajectory of "Cover," "Caught," and "Consequences." I suppose that truly successful ones never get caught or never kiss-and-tell.

I finished the day by visiting the National Cathedral. It was a beautiful building, inside and out. The sight of it reminded me of the cathedrals I had visited while in Italy. It undoubtedly would have evoked feelings of devotion and spiritual yearning in most people who were in its presence. I wish I could have followed one of those guided tours, but it was late in the day. One surprise was the tomb of Woodrow Wilson in the cathedral. Alas, long gone were the days of the scholar-in-chief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home