Sunday, November 07, 2010

Question: Sportsman of the Year?

Done. Stop looking. Sports Illustrated should give the honor to Edison Peña, the Chilean coal miner, who was trapped underground for 69 days, only emerged from hell 25 days ago, and completed the New York Marathon today. Apparently he was running 6 miles a day while trapped 2000 feet underground not knowing whether he will ever see sunlight again. This is the most inspiring sports story I can remember in a long time. As far as I can tell, he is just soaking in the celebrity that came with his unfortunate ordeal. Even if he ran the marathon with intention of seeking book or movie deals, he could be forgiven. He puts me to shame, and makes me want to get off this couch and put on my new running shoes. The hills, the occasional wind and the annoying bad SF drivers, no long seem to nuisances. So you read it here first, SI Sportsman of the Year, Edison Peña.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home